Personalised Learning at Scale: How AI is Tailoring Education for Every Indian Student
India’s education system, one of the largest in the world, is undergoing a seismic transformation towards digitisation. This transformation is being led by the integration of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in reshaping the educational landscape.
The Rise of AI in Education
Traditional education systems have always faced challenges in catering to the diverse needs of students and offering personalised learning solutions. However, the emergence of AI has brought about a revolution in the education sector. A report by McKinsey & Company suggests that AI can enhance learning outcomes by 20-30%.
India’s Focus on AI in Education
India, with its vast student population comprising varied learning styles, preferences, and backgrounds, cannot rely on a one-size-fits-all approach. Recognising this, the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 emphasizes a more personalised and flexible approach to education. The policy also underscores the importance of imparting technical knowledge at all curriculum levels to prepare students for the future AI economy.
In line with the NEP 2020, the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) is preparing a new National Curriculum Framework for School Education. Additionally, the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) introduced AI as a subject in class IX from the 2019-2020 session and in Class-XI from the 2020-2021 session. AICTE-approved institutions are also encouraged to offer AI as an elective in B.Tech courses and initiate B.Tech programs in Artificial Intelligence and Data Science.
According to Business Today, the Indian education industry’s AI integration is projected to reach a 40.3% CAGR from 2019 to 2025.
Benefits of AI Integration in Education
- Adaptive Learning: AI’s capability to recognize and adapt to individual learning styles is unparalleled. It personalises the learning experience by offering solutions tailored to each student’s specific needs. AI algorithms can analyse students’ performance data to gain insights into their strengths, weaknesses, and learning preferences.
- Enhanced Assessments: Traditional assessment methods, often marred by irregularities and biases, are being replaced by AI-driven quizzes and assignments. These offer real-time evaluation, feedback, and identify learning gaps.
- Empowering Educators: AI-driven assessments not only measure students’ comprehension but also help educators identify and address learning gaps effectively.
- Learning For All: AI’s transformative impact in Indian education lies in its ability to bridge geographical divides. AI-powered education platforms can bring quality education to remote and underserved areas, democratising learning opportunities.
- Prioritising Privacy: As AI becomes central to education, ensuring data privacy and security is paramount. Striking a balance between data-driven personalization and protecting sensitive information requires constant vigilance.
The Way Forward
The success stories of AI-driven education in India are enlightening. Personalised learning powered by AI marks a significant moment in the Indian education system. The integration of technology and pedagogy aims not to replace teachers but to amplify their impact. As we move towards a future where AI-driven education becomes the norm, it holds immense potential to reshape India’s education system.