WhatsApp Scam Calls Targeting Indian Users: A Comprehensive Overview
A new wave of scam calls on WhatsApp is haunting Indian users, with cyber-criminals employing a fresh modus operandi. This time, the scam calls originate from fake US numbers, adding a veneer of authenticity to their deceitful tactics.
The Scam Unveiled
- Origin of the Scam: Cyber-criminals have been calling people on WhatsApp using fake US numbers. They impersonate senior office executives and colleagues, attempting to lend credibility to their scam.
- Targeted Individuals: Employees of a leading media company in New Delhi, including those who have left the organization, have reported receiving numerous such fake international calls. These calls come from US-based fake numbers, with the callers posing as top executives and urging the recipients to initiate conversations.
- Identifying the Scam: The scam calls often begin with the numbers +1 (404), which corresponds to Atlanta, Georgia, and +1 (773), which is linked to Chicago, Illinois. Messages accompanying these calls typically read, “Please get back to me as soon as you get my text, thanks.”
Earlier in May, a similar scam had left millions of Indian WhatsApp users perplexed. They were inundated with international spam calls, primarily from African and Southeast Asian countries. These calls, coupled with fake messages from unknown users, flooded WhatsApp, leaving users vulnerable to potential financial and personal losses. Notably, while the mobile numbers displayed country codes from nations like Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia, and Ethiopia, it’s not guaranteed that the calls originated from these countries.
Additional Scams to Watch Out For
Another ongoing scam in India involves receiving job offers via WhatsApp messages. Users are advised to exercise caution and verify the authenticity of such offers before taking any action.
WhatsApp, owned by Meta, boasts nearly 500 million users in India. The platform’s massive user base makes it an attractive target for scammers. While the company has taken measures to curb such malicious activities, users are encouraged to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity.
- Stay Informed: Awareness is the first line of defense. By staying updated on the latest scams and tactics employed by cyber-criminals, you can better protect yourself.
- Verify Before Trusting: If you receive a call or message from an unknown international number, especially one that claims to be from a senior executive or colleague, verify its authenticity before responding.
- Use In-App Features: WhatsApp offers features that allow users to report and block suspicious numbers. Make use of these tools to safeguard your privacy.
As technology continues to evolve, so do the tactics employed by scammers. It’s crucial to stay informed, exercise caution, and use the tools at your disposal to protect yourself from potential threats.
Also Read: Sending Photos in HD Quality on WhatsApp